The CTC project aims to support European Industry to adapt to global competitive pressures by developing methods and innovative enabling technologies towards local flexible manufacturing of green personalized products close to the customer in terms of features offered, place of fabrication, time to deliver, and cost. This vision is implemented and demonstrated within an European industrial sector of excellence: the furniture sector (151.000 companies, annual turnover of more than 130 Billion Euro, total workforce of 1,4 million). The ultimate implementation envisions a green factory behind a glass pane directly in the Shopping Mall, where the customer witnesses the manufacturing of its personalized furniture.
CTC vision of local flexible manufacturing of green personalized furniture is to be implemented by the development of 5 pillars:
1. Development of a Formalized Design Approach and related software technologies for “design to manufacturing in one step”;
2. Development of a standardized mini-factory Production System Model;
3. Implementation of the local Context Aware Factory (which is the instantiation of the Production System Model afore mentioned in the second Pillar);
4. Development of the CTC woodwork machining system, capable to empower the Close to the Customer concept;
5. Development of the CTC Green Label.
Anticipated results from the CTC project are expected to have a huge impact on the European economy, also considering the high number of actors involved and the overall dimensions of the furniture sector.